Room parents provide essential help to teachers in organizing special activities inside and outside the classroom setting.
- Respect instructional time and meet with the teacher before or after school. Also, use e-mail and the phone to stay in touch with the teacher.
- Speak with your classroom teacher as soon as possible to find out what they would like for you to do. Every teacher is different and the amount of parent help varies from one teacher to another.
Some classroom responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Get a list of all the parents in your class, phone numbers and emails from the office secretary.
- Introduce yourself through a letter to all the parents at the beginning of the year. (Sample Letter)
- Meet and or communicate via email or phone with the teacher on a regular basis to discuss his/her needs for upcoming activities
- Have the teacher complete the interest questionnaire and e-mail it to parents. This will provide the parents with ideas if they do desire to give something to the teacher.
- Organize volunteers for class events
- Plan a class party for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines' Day, and Beach Day at the end of the year.
- Notify all parents when a party is taking place in case they would like to attend.
- Communicate with parents on behalf of PTF
- Coordinate the purchase and/or making gifts for the teacher in appreciation through-out the holidays.
- Participate in Staff Appreciation Week
- Invite other parents to assist you in the classroom activities.
- Coordinate Fun Walk responsibilities for your classroom.